Home | Links | Contact Us | Top 50 | News | Bookmark
Find a drug:
A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   I   J   K   L   M   N   O   P   Q   R   S   T   U   V   W   X   Y   Z   #  

Health Forum    Other - Diseases
Health Discussion Forum

 Is there any way you can stop yourself from fainting when you feel it coming on?
My doctor told me to lie down or put my head between my legs but what if I can't do that where I am?

I'm a teacher and I teach all day so is there anything I can do to stop ...

 Am I anorexic?
I haven't been eating very much everyday because a guy told me I was fat.

My friends are getting upset cuz they say that I am killing myself

My mom somehow found out and is ...

 Who is to blame if someone gives an answer that seriously harms another using Yahoo Answers?
While this is fun and helpful and sometimes even challenging, I fear for the safety of someone who takes another's advice and it results in a serious health crisis or even death. Was this ...

 If your stools float what does it say about your diet??
Ive heard that if they float your diet is lacking something?...

 How do u know if u an alcoholic?

 Headaches....pounding behind one eye..is this migraine??
my hubby gets this now and again..it can last for hours and funnily it seems to occur if he has had a lie in !!!...

I think I'm sick but I dont know what I have. Here are some of the symptomns I've been having lately. I've had a sudden change in appetite(like im not hungry anymore) and when i try ...

 Be Kind... when i have a bm the toilet water appears to have an oily orange film? why?

 What should I do reduce the swelling in my legs?
In my work I stand most of the day, I try to sit as much as I can, but most of the time I am indeed on my feet (hospital work). I have tried support stockings, and I do not have varicose veins.. yet.<...

 Name TWO sources of atmospheric pollution (air).?

 Do god can heel any sort of disese?if yes pls guide me bcoz my dad not keeping wel?

 What is an anurism?
I might have an anurism located in the middle of my brain. I really need to know everything I can about this. Any cures, treatments, alternative diagnosis? please help me.
Additional Details...

 I ran out of xanax on Fri. and my DR. is on vac. I'm on it for panic attacks , anxiety. I am extremely nervous
and shaky now. Has anyone had this happen? Also is this the best med. for this situation?...

 How can you tell if your arm is broken?
My son's arm is swollen but hbe seems to be able to use it fine. He fell while ice skating....

 A Lovely family member who is very near death?
Hello I have a situation that I have never experienced before (personally) - but my lovely wife has had this unforunate exprience. Her mother died of lung cancer 10 years ago (mum was 63) - then her ...

 I have insomnia bad!!?
i mean its gotten to the point where most nights im either up tell 7am or i have to take sleeping pills just to be able to get some rest for work the next day.and i hate taking them.but is there any ...

 Can anyone give advice on SEVERE constipation?
I have severe constipation and have horrible cramps. I have been constipated for almost 2 years now and maybe once a week I have a very hurtful bowel movement. I know I am dehyrdrated but it helps ...

 Have i got anemia?
what causes it? and is it dangerous?

iam always tired, have a lack of concentration, i dont sleep much and i never have any energy..

and how do the doctors check? can they find ...

 Anyone suffer from anxiety?
if you suffer from anxiety what are your physical symptoms you have? I have lots of heart burn (indegetion) frequent urinating and a burning sensation in my arms....

 My 8 yr old daughter has high cholesterol (206), she is NOT overweight and very active.?
What can I do to lower it. I tried the egg beaters (hates it). I asked her doctor and she said watch what she eats. I heard certain vitamins can help her, but when I look for it I don't see ...

Would my son qualify for Social Security Disability?
My 18 year old son, a high school senior, is hearing impaired. Zero hearing in right ear and about 1/2 in the left ear. His condition will not improve and he could, over time, develop even less hearing in the left ear. Would this be serious enough to get disability or supplemental income from social security?
Additional Details
To clarify, and for those who wish to be meanies: My son does already go to high school, full days and works 30 hrs. per week at a fast food place. He pays his own car payment and insurance and we were only trying for the SSI (supplemental), so when he has the bouts that come with his ear issues (abnormally form inner ear sctructure and deafness), he might not have to go to work, attempt to stand, sometimes over boiling grease, when he is so dizzy and nauseated he can hardly stand and has a hard time hearing with the headset. So, for those who think he is trying for a free ride, we just wanted a little help for him as he is going into college and will eventually find a different employment where he can do ok with the illness and impairment.

You mean, should tax payers pay for it?

he probably does not qualify. It has nothing to do with his disability but to get social security you have to have a history or work before the disability.

Basically you have to work and pay into social security before you can get anything out of it. Even if he was blind, deaf, dumb, and had no arms he would not qualify without the work history.

Your amount of benefits are based on how much you have paid into social security. So if you have not held a job yet you can not get benefits.

You can always talk to a lawyer about it to find out for sure but he probably does not qualify.

If one parent is disabled, retired, or dead he could receive benefits based on that parent earnings though. if that is not the case he is probably out of luck.

Though why are you asking on here why don't you just go to the social security web site and look it up? That would be smarter then asking random people. Most people on here are not experts on anything they are just bored.

I don't think so, my friend has bad epilipsey and she is not able to work she didn't qualify. You should try though I just know that it is hard and you may have to apply more than once if denied. Good Luck Casey:)

I think he may qualify. Apply and let them decide for sure. I know a person who is in the same seat as your son and he has gotten SSI since he was about 13 or 14 years old- he's almost 25 now and still receives it.

Yes, I think so...But who knows about the laws in your state.
And whether are not a Dr. would write it up for you.

You should consult your doctor, and your attorney. Here is a website for a firm that specializes in this:


If you have your case presented by professionals, you should have success. You will probably have to try more than once too, so don't give up.

Irene F
This is the SSI homepage:

A person can't get disability payments without having worked. There are lots of things a hearing-impaired person can do, however.

It may be possible but I could be wrong. SSDI (State Disability Insurance) is paid to former wage-earners.

For SSI (Supplemental Security Income) the definition of eligibility, as it applies to your son, is: An individual age 18 and older is "disabled" if he or she has a medically determinable physical or mental impairment, which: results in the inability to engage in any substantial gainful activity; and can be expected to result in feath; or has lasted or can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than 12 months. Gainful activity is defined as work performed for pay or profit and can be full-time or part-time.

The SSA may make fidnings of presumptive disability until a more formal determination is made. Funds may be available in these cases. The specific impairment categories include "Allegation of total deafness".

There is a publication entitled Disability Evaluation Under Social Security", known as the "blue book" and it explains the criteria on which Social Security bases disability determinations. Go to www.ssa.gov/disability/

Type exactly what you see above. Click on Adult Listings (Part A). You'll see in the top middle of the page a new added (as of 02/2007) section - Special Senses & Speech. Click on this. Now, at the left, click on 2.08 Hearing Impairments.

I hope this helps you.

He will probably not qualify but check with a social security rep.

Nurse Answer Mama
Apply and find out.

Its worth a try. File a application and they will send him to their doctors, if you get denied contact a attorney that handles that kind of stuff. Apply for SSI not ssd
good luck

I doubt it. But you can always apply and get a lawyer to help you for no fee unless you win the case. Social security logic dictates that there may be some type of gainful employment that a deaf person can do.

Nope that is not a qualifier for ssd. I have been hearing impaired since childhood and you don't get much of anything these days for lousy hearing.

The best thing to do is check with the SS department to find out

Ryan's mom
No. There are plenty of jobs for hearing impaired people. My step-daughter only had 5% hearing in both ears until she was 5 when they found out that the tubes in her ears were deformed. After having several ear infections they placed tubes in her ears and she could hear fine, but by that point it had created permanant speech problems, and balance problems. She also has a moderate learning disability, and had to be in Special Ed classes until high school. She then had an IEP (Individual Education Plan) for students with learning problems. She has mental capabilities of a 12 year-old, and she is now in her 20's, and she does not qualify for SSI. Obvioulsy "Thatoneguy" doesn't know anything about Social Security. Children with severe disabilities CAN collect SSI without a work history. This is to help the parents of the disabled, and they receive it from birth if they have conditions such as Cerebral Palsy.

From what you have said, it sure sounds like he would qualify for SSI (supplemental security income). Is he in a special day classroom? Is there an IEP? If I were you, I would take him to your closest Social Security office and apply. Take his social security card, his IEP (if he has one), his birth certificate, and anything you have from doctors, schools, whatever, that states (in writing), that your son has significant hearing loss. Since he is 18, your income will not be a factor. Good luck.

 Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Large Text
Archive: All drugs - Links - Forum - Forum - Forum - Medical Topics
Drug3k does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2013 Drug3k Monday, February 8, 2016
Terms of use - Privacy Policy