Home | Links | Contact Us | Top 50 | News | Bookmark
Find a drug:
A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   I   J   K   L   M   N   O   P   Q   R   S   T   U   V   W   X   Y   Z   #  

Health Forum    STDs
Health Discussion Forum

ufreezemaiheart
Can You Catch Herpes From Sharing a Hookah?
I don't smoke or use hookahs and never will lol, but I noticed that many times people sit in large groups using them.
They all smoke from the same pipe...sooo...
yea...can you catch herpes from sharing a hookah?

bob t
Rating
probably and other things too.

Trey M
Rating
Oral herpes (usually HSV-1) has been detected in both the saliva and blood of patients with active oral infections. It is the most prevalent form of HSV, and infection is most likely to occur during preschool years. Oral herpes is easily spread by direct exposure to saliva or even from droplets in breath. Skin contact with infected areas is sufficient to spread it. Transmission most often occurs through close personal contact, such as kissing. In addition, because HSV-1 can be passed in saliva, people should also avoid sharing toothbrushes or eating utensils with an infected person. It can also be passed with sharing chap stick. Though I have never heard of it from a Hookah, or another smoking device, it is definitely possible if a person with a an exposed sore was to use it and pass it immediately. I do not know how long the virus stays active after it is exposed to air.

Stuie
Rating
Yes you can but it's rare. Herpes Simplex 1 is very common 50% off all adults over the age of 24 have it. Conditions have to be right for passing, such as the infected person has to be close to an outbreak and the possible recipient has to have a slightly weakened immune system, such as a cold or allergies. Most hookah smokers know this and now who has it. Like I have HS-1 and my wife doesn't married for over 3 years and she has never got it. My Father has it and my mother doesn't. He got it in high school and with over 30 years of marriage and she hasn't got it yet.

Best thing to do is keep mouth tips at home.
http://www.hookah-shisha.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=2048&idaffiliate=284
Most lounges not about to be closed by the health department hand them out. I personally keep several hundred of them at home and take them with me to lounges and other friends house when we smoke.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Large Text
Archive: All drugs - Links - Forum - Forum - Forum - Medical Topics
Drug3k does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. 0.044
Copyright (c) 2013 Drug3k Monday, December 22, 2014
Terms of use - Privacy Policy