This combination medication is used to treat symptoms of Parkinson s disease. Parkinson s disease is believed to be due to a lack of an important chemical (dopamine) in the brain. Levodopa is converted into dopamine in the brain, leading to the relief of Parkinson s disease symptoms. Both carbidopa and entacapone are given with levodopa to increase the amount of levodopa that is converted into dopamine.
- Store at room temperature at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C) away from light and moisture.
- Brief storage from 59 to 86 degrees F (15-30 degrees C) is permitted.
- Do not store in the bathroom.
- Keep all medicines away from children and pets.
- If overdose is suspected, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately.
- Symptoms of overdose may include: severe dizziness, irregular or fast heartbeat, increased blinking/eyelid spasms (blepharospasms).
Stalevo - Welcome to The National
Stalevo - Welcome to The National
25 mg-200 mg-100 mg. Stalevo
- Take Stalevo 100 by mouth exactly as prescribed.
- Do not increase the dose or take more frequently without consulting your doctor.
- Do not split the tablets.
- It is best to avoid a high protein diet (decreases the amount of levodopa that your body takes in) during treatment, unless directed otherwise by your doctor.
- Consult your doctor or pharmacist for more details.
- The dosage is based on your medical condition, previous drug therapy, response to therapy, and side effects if they occur.
- Some patients may experience a wearing-off (worsening of symptoms) before the next dose is due.
- An on-off effect might also occur, in which sudden short periods of stiffness occur.
- If these effects occur, contact your doctor for possible dose adjustments that may help to lessen this effect.
- Do not stop taking Stalevo 100 without consulting your doctor.
- Some conditions may become worse when Stalevo 100 is suddenly stopped.
- Your dose may need to be gradually decreased.
- The manufacturer advises a maximum of 8 tablets per day.
- Use Stalevo 100 regularly in order to get the most benefit from it.
- To help you remember, use it at the same time(s) each day.
- If symptoms worsen while using Stalevo 100, contact your doctor immediately.
- Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, headache, dizziness, drowsiness, stomach upset, loss of appetite, dry mouth, or difficulty sleeping may occur.
- If any of these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor or pharmacist promptly.
- Tell your doctor immediately if any of these serious side effects occur: involuntary movements (especially twitching of the eyelid), fainting or falling, confusion, difficulty swallowing, stomach/abdominal pain, vision changes (including blurred vision).
- Tell your doctor immediately if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: hallucinations, chest pain, black/tarry stools, muscle pain, change in the amount of urine.
- Tell your doctor immediately if any of these highly unlikely but very serious side effects occur: mental/mood changes or depression (sometimes severe, including rare thoughts of suicide), persistent sore throat, high fever, severe muscle stiffness, fast heartbeat, fast breathing, increased sweating.
- Stalevo 100 may cause the saliva, urine, or sweat to turn a dark color.
- This is harmless; however, it may discolor clothing.
- An allergic reaction to Stalevo 100 is unlikely, but seek immediate medical attention if it occurs.
- Symptoms of an allergic reaction include: rash, itching, swelling, dizziness, trouble breathing.
- If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
- Stalevo 100 should not be used if you have certain medical conditions.
- Before using Stalevo 100, consult your doctor or pharmacist if you have: glaucoma (narrow-angle).
- Before using Stalevo 100, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: liver disease, glaucoma (wide-angle), breathing problems, heart disease (especially history of heart attack), kidney disease, endocrine disease, ulcers, mental/mood disorders (e.g., depression, schizophrenia), blood disorders, history of skin cancer, any allergies.
- To minimize dizziness and lightheadedness, get up slowly when rising from a seated or lying position.
- Stalevo 100 may make you dizzy or drowsy; use caution engaging in activities requiring alertness such as driving or using machinery.
- Limit alcoholic beverages.
- Before you have surgery with a general anesthetic, including dental surgery, tell the doctor or dentist you are taking Stalevo 100.
- Stalevo 100 should be used only when clearly needed during pregnancy.
- Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
- Levodopa passes into breast milk.
- It is unknown if carbidopa or entacapone pass into breast milk.
- Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.
- If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you remember.
- If it is near the time of the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule.
- Do not double the dose to catch up.
- Stalevo 100 should not be used with the following medications because very serious interactions may occur: most MAO inhibitors (e.g., furazolidone, linezolid, moclobemide, phenelzine, procarbazine).
- If you are currently using any of these medications, tell your doctor or pharmacist before starting carbidopa/levodopa/entacapone.
- Before using Stalevo 100, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all prescription and nonprescription products you may use, especially of: medications to treat high blood pressure (hypertension), other drugs to treat Parkinson s disease (including other drugs that contain levodopa, carbidopa, or entacapone), iron vitamins, tricyclic antidepressants (e.g., amitriptyline), phenytoin, papaverine, isoproterenol, adrenaline (epinephrine), norepinephrine, dopamine, dobutamine, alpha-methlydopa, apomorphine, isoetharine, bitolterol, probenecid, cholestyramine, metoclopramide, selegiline, certain antibiotics (e.g., erythromycin, ampicillin, rifampin, chloramphenicol).
- Also, report use of any medicine that can make you drowsy, such as: sedatives, tranquilizers, anti-anxiety medicine, anti-seizure drugs, narcotic pain relievers (e.g., codeine), psychiatric medicines, certain drowsiness-causing antihistamines (e.g., diphenhydramine).
- Stalevo 100 can cause false results with urine glucose testing in diabetics.
- Blood glucose testing should be performed instead.
- Do not start or stop any medicine without doctor or pharmacist approval.