Meprozine, Meperidine W/promethazine
Promethazine is used to relieve nausea and vomiting. Meperidine is a narcotic pain reliever. This combination medicine is used to relieve moderate to severe pain.
- Store at room temperature between 59 and 86 degrees F (between 15 and 30 degrees C) away from moisture and sunlight.
- Do not store in the bathroom.
- If overdose is suspected, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately.
- Symptoms of overdose may include slow, shallow breathing; lack of feeling alert; loss of consciousness; weakness; cold, clammy skin; and slow heart rate.
261 WYETH Mepergan Fortis
- To prevent upset stomach, take Mepergan Fortis with food or milk.
- Pain medications work best in preventing pain before it occurs.
- Once the pain becomes intense, the medication is not as effective in relieving it.
- Take Mepergan Fortis exactly as prescribed.
- Do not increase your dose, take it more frequently or use it for a longer period of time than prescribed because Mepergan Fortis can be habit-forming.
- Also, if used for an extended period of time, do not suddenly stop using Mepergan Fortis without your doctor s approval.
- Over time, Mepergan Fortis may not work as well.
- Consult your doctor if Mepergan Fortis is not relieving the pain sufficiently.
- May cause constipation, lightheadedness, dizziness, drowsiness, stomach upset, nausea, or flushing the first few days as your body adjusts to the medication.
- If these symptoms persist or become bothersome, inform your doctor.
- Notify your doctor if you develop: irregular heartbeat, anxiety, tremors.
- In the unlikely event you have an allergic reaction to Mepergan Fortis, seek immediate medical attention.
- Symptoms of an allergic reaction include: rash, itching, swelling, dizziness, trouble breathing.
- If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
- Tell your doctor if you have: heart disease, kidney disease, lung disease, asthma, ulcers, glaucoma, difficulty urinating, an enlarged prostate, seizures, drug dependency, any allergies (especially drug allergies).
- Use caution when engaging in activities requiring alertness such as driving and using machinery because Mepergan Fortis may make you drowsy and/or dizzy.
- Limit alcohol intake so as not to increase the drowsiness/dizziness effect of Mepergan Fortis.
- Mepergan Fortis should be used only when clearly needed during pregnancy.
- Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
- Promethazine is excreted into breast milk and may have undesirable effects on the nursing infant.
- Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.
- If you miss a dose, take it as soon as remembered; do not take if it is almost time for the next dose, instead, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule.
- Do not "double-up the dose to catch up.
- Tell your doctor of any over-the-counter or prescription medication you may take including: sleeping pills, sedatives, tranquilizers, muscle relaxants, medication for depression, medication for seizures, other narcotic pain medication, cimetidine.
- Tell your doctor, in the last two weeks, if you have taken MAO inhibitors such as: furazolidone, phenelzine, selegiline, tranylcypromine, linezolid, procarbazine, moclobemide.
- Do not start or stop any medicine without doctor or pharmacist approval.