| doxepin Hcl |
Doxepin Hcl is used to treat depression, obsessive- compulsive disorders, and bed-wetting in children over 6 years of age (enuresis).
- Store at room temperature away from moisture and sunlight.
- Do not store in the bathroom.
- Do not freeze liquid forms of Doxepin Hcl.
- If overdose is suspected, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately.
- Symptoms of overdose may include agitation, confusion, hallucinations, fever, irregular movement of the eyes, seizures, change in amount of urine, dry mouth or nose, constipation, large pupils, drowsiness, slow or shallow breathing, dizziness, unconsciousness, unusually fast or slow heartbeat, or flushing..
- Use this as prescribed.
- Try to use each dose at the same time(s) each day so you remember to routinely use it.
- It may take 2 to 3 weeks before the full benefit of Doxepin Hcl becomes apparent.
- Do not stop using Doxepin Hcl without your doctor s approval.
- Nausea, headache or fatigue can occur if Doxepin Hcl is suddenly stopped.
- May cause drowsiness, dizziness, increased sun sensitivity or blurred vision.
- May initially cause dizziness and lightheadedness when rising too quickly from a sitting or lying position.
- Other side effects include heartburn, loss of appetite, dry mouth, strange taste in mouth, anxiety, restlessness or sweating.
- If any side effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor.
- Report promptly: chest pain, rapid or irregular heartbeat, difficulty urinating, nightmares, ringing in the ears, excessive drowsiness, uncoordinated movements, fainting.
- Taking Doxepin Hcl at bedtime may help minimize side effects.
- Talk to your doctor about this.
- In the unlikely event you have an allergic reaction to Doxepin Hcl, seek medical attention immediately.
- Symptoms of an allergic reaction include: rash, itching, swelling, dizziness, trouble breathing.
- If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
- Before using Doxepin Hcl tell your doctor your medical history, especially of: glaucoma, prostate problems, decreased urine output, thyroid disease, breathing problems, seizure problems, alcohol use, heart disease, mental/emotional problems, liver or kidney disease, any drug allergies.
- Use caution when engaging in tasks requiring alertness such as driving or operating machinery.
- Limit alcohol consumption as it may increase the drowsiness and dizziness effects of Doxepin Hcl.
- Limit exposure to hot weather as it may lead to heat stroke.
- Caution is advised when using Doxepin Hcl in the elderly, because they may be more sensitive to the effects of Doxepin Hcl (e.g., confusion may occur or worsen).
- Doxepin Hcl should be used during pregnancy only if clearly needed.
- Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
- Doxepin Hcl may be excreted into breast milk.
- The effects on the infant are not known at this time.
- Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.
- If you miss a dose and are taking more than 1 daily: do not take it if it is almost time for the next dose, instead, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule.
- If you take it once daily at bedtime, do not take it the following morning.
- Call your doctor.
- Do not double the dose to catch up.
- Inform your doctor about the medicines you take, especially if you take: clonidine, guanadrel, guanethidine, MAO inhibitors (e.g., furazolidone, linezolid, phenelzine, selegiline, tranylcypromine), cimetidine, SSRIs (e.g., fluoxetine, sertraline), warfarin, carbamazepine, certain diet pills (e.g., phentermine, fenfluramine), adrenaline-type drugs (e.g., dopamine, ephedrine, epinephrine, pseudoephedrine, phenylephrine, isoproterenol- some of which may be found in cough-and-cold or asthma products), narcotic pain medications (e.g., codeine), cisapride, St John s wort, any other prescription or nonprescription drugs you take.
- Do not start or stop any medicine without doctor or pharmacist approval.