| || |
USES: This medication is used to relieve nervousness, tension, or anxiety. It is used improve sleep disturbances such as insomnia. It is also used to treat seizure disorders.
This medication is used to relieve nervousness, tension, or anxiety. It is used improve sleep disturbances such as insomnia. It is also used to treat seizure disorders.
- Long-term use can lead to dependence.
- Take only as directed.
- Do not increase dose or take longer than prescribed.
- If tolerance and dependency develop, the medication will become less effective with prolonged use.
- If you develop severe pain while taking this medication, contact your doctor.
- Do not allow anyone else to take this medication.
- Store at room temperature away from sunlight.
Action: Sodium amytal works by
- HOW TO USE THIS MEDICATION: This medication must be administered as directed by your doctor.
- For insomnia, use 30 to 60 minutes prior to bedtime.
- Use exactly as prescribed.
- Do not increase your dose or take more often than prescribed.
- Do not stop using this medication without your doctor's approval.
- Your dose may have to be gradually decreased if you have been taking it for some time.
- This medication causes drowsiness and dizziness.
- Avoid tasks requiring alertness.
- Other side effects may include headache, weakness, grogginess or dreaming.
- These effects should disappear as your body adjusts to the medication.
- If they persist or become bothersome, inform your doctor.
- Notify your doctor if you develop chest pain, rapid heart rate, difficulty breathing, nosebleeds, confusion or hallucinations while taking this medication.
- If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
- Tell your doctor your medical history, especially of breathing problems, porphyria (a blood disorder), heart problems, if you have pain (chronic or acute); a history of alcohol or substance abuse and of any allergies.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages; alcohol adds to the drowsiness caused by this drug.
- Do not drive or engage in activities that require alertness.
- Elderly persons are usually more sensitive to the effects of this medication.
- Use cautiously.
- This medication is not recommended for use during pregnancy.
- Consult your doctor before using this medication.
- This medication has been shown to pass into breast milk and cause harm to a nursing infant.
- Consult your doctor about breast-feeding.
- If you miss a dose, use it as soon as remembered; do not use if it is almost time for the next dose, instead, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule.
- Do not "double-up" the dose to catch up.
- This medication can interact with many drugs.
- Before you take it, tell your doctor of any over-the-counter or prescription drugs you are taking including: anticoagulants ("blood thinners"), birth control pills, steroids (for asthma or other inflammatory conditions); medication for seizures, heart rhythm disturbances, thyroid conditions and depression; narcotic pain medications (e.g., codeine).
- This medication can cause drowsiness which will be increased if you are also taking antihistamines, sedatives, sleeping pills, tranquilizers or muscle relaxers.
- This drug may interfere with the effectiveness of birth control pills.
- Discuss using other methods of birth control with your doctor.
- Do not start or stop any medicine without doctor or pharmacist approval.